Tag Archives: employment

My First Paid Publish

5 Sep

It’s official.  I’m a Web Content Editor.  I made my first update to www.choa.org today!  It was a small publish but it sure meant a big deal to me.  I basically attached a picture to one of our physician’s bios but I was very proud of myself!  I’m sure I’m probably jinxing myself, but I can’t wait to take on more and more.

So far, the past two days have been filled with meeting different people in different sub-departments and everyone has been so welcoming.  It’s a little overwhelming though because there are so many things happening under our main department and it all amazingly flows together.  I just can’t wait to catch on to it all!

I know one thing that’s awkward for me to catch on to – being able to leave at 4 pm!  After all of those years of not being able to leave until after the newscast, it’s odd to leave so early. That’s not to say that I don’t love it, it just feels like I’m going to get in trouble for leaving!

Who would have thought it?  A job that rewards you in both compensation and team support and that has great hours? I really didn’t think it was possible!

Job Offer

22 Aug

It seems at least one of the four companies I interviewed with likes me enough to want me to work for them. I have until 5 pm Friday to let the Gwinnett County Public Library know if I want to be a Part-Time Library Associate.

From a quick glance, it seems like it would be a great “mommy job.” I love libraries, it would be a stress-free job (compared to others), Nia would probably not need any after school care and the pay is good. But then you add that pay to what Andrew will make and subtract all the taxes, the gas to drive the 60 miles there and back and childcare for Nate because chances are I’ll have to work during some weekdays – well, it doesn’t seem so great after considering all of that.

I don’t think I’ll even take the other job if it’s offered to me.  It really hurts me to say that because working at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta would be such an amazing opportunity.  It’s just the drive is just so ridiculously long – especially when you add that I’ll be racing to pick Nia and Nate before the childcare they’ve been at all day is about to close.

It’s so frustrating.  All of that hard work and emotional blah I went through researching, applying and interviewing – for what?  These jobs seemed great and workable when I found them and applied.  What could be so different now that they aren’t anymore?

As much as I’m scared to take them, I’m just as scared to let them go.  What if I don’t get another offer?  What if this was the job I was supposed to accept?

All I can do is make a decision with my heart and mind and hope it all turns out ok.

Uncertain Certainty

15 Aug

The Certain -  Andrew has accepted a job.  He is all set to start working as a Project Controls Analyst at Overland Contracting on August 25. 

The Uncertain – It is a significant amount less than he was making and we're trying to tweak our numbers to make it all work so I might still be able to stay home with the kids.  If not, my job hunt will continue.

The Certain – This job will eventually lead him to what he's always wanted to do – work in the field of Civil Engineering.  The prospect of that makes both of us really happy.

The Uncertain – How much will the required travel keep Andrew away from home?  He was told during the interview that workers can be away anywhere from a few weeks at a time to a few months. I'd be lying if I said I was 100% ok with that. 

The Certain – It feels great for us to know we will have an income and benefits again.  Fortunately, it all is timing out well with the end of the severance and everything. 

The Uncertain – Did we make the right decision?  Should we have gambled and waited for something else? 

The Certain – It's an income.  It's a great opportunity.  It's necessary.  It's a decision. 

That's certain.

Read and post comments

Risky Business

11 Aug

We should be relieved right now.  We should be ecstatic.  I should be typing this in all caps letting you all know that Andrew got a job offer.  That’s great right?  Yes.  It is.  To a point.

We know we’re really not in a position to be too picky here but we also don’t want Andrew to sell himself short.  This company just isn’t offering him what we need.  We’re not looking to make what he was making.  We know the likelihood of that happening is slim.  We just want a livable salary.  One that we could manage on until I find something (or am hopefully offered something).

The practical, non-gambling side of us says we should take it.  But the other side of us, the one that feels like we’re settling and could be missing out on a better opportunity, says we should hold out a little longer.  We think we have good reasons to – he just went on two other interviews last week so those are potentials and there’s another hiring conference coming up this week that could offer a few possibilities.  It’s just such a risk.

We’re told he has to decide on Monday whether he’ll take the job.  I really don’t know what our decision will be.  It’s just such a tough call.  The job offers Andrew experience in Civil Engineering – something he’s always wanted to do.  But it also will require a lot of travel and time away from home.  We really have to consider all the pros and cons.

How could it be that I was less stressed when we didn’t have an offer on the table?  Makes no sense.  None.

%d bloggers like this: